William Pieratt Demond
William Pieratt Demond is a native of Austin, Texas and a proud graduate of S.F. Austin High School. After graduation, he matriculated to Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina and completed study abroad programs in Shanghai, Kansai (Japan), the Middle East, and Italy. He graduated with a Bachelors of Arts in Asian Studies, spent a year in Beijing, returned to Texas, and worked as a China researcher for Governor Perry’s Secretary of State, the Honorable Geoffrey S. Connor.
William opened a law firm with Secretary Connor in 2008. After three years of exceptional service to its clientele, the partners opted to close the firm so that they could concentrate on their respective passions. DEMOND & HASSAN was created immediately thereafter.
Law SchoolWilliam Demond acquired a Juris Doctor in law (with a concentration in international and comparative law) and a Masters of Arts in Diplomacy and International Relations from Seton Hall University. While there, he:
- attended two of China's preeminent schools of law (Tsinghua Daxue and Zhengfa Daxue);
- spent a summer studying Shari'a at the American University in Cairo;
- was a faculty-appointed Student Ambassador to President Mikhail Gorbachev;
- worked for an Intellectual Property Rights law firm in Beijing;
- worked for Professor Elizabeth Defeis as an international law research assistant (and is listed as a credited researcher/editor for:
- "Religious Liberty and Protections in Europe" (45 J. CATH. LEG. STUD. 73);
- "A Constitution for the European Union? A Transatlantic Perspective" (19 TEMP. INT’L & COMP. L.J. 351); and
- "U.N. Peacekeepers, Sexual Abuse & Exploitation: An End to Impunity" (7 WASH. U. GLOBAL STUD. L. REV. 185));
- worked for the law office of Wanda Akin as a law clerk;
- was credited as an editor in Mark Bina’s "Private Military Contractor Liability and Accountability" (38 J. MARSHALL L. REV. 1237);
- received a pro bono certificate for teaching a high school street law and mock trial course;
- completed a European Union Diplomacy seminar in Brussels, Luxembourg, and Strasbourg that included briefings with H.R.H. the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, 2 Ambassadors, judges from the European Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights, the European Investment Bank, a Member of European Parliament, the Council of Europe, 2 Ministers, a Commissioner, the Court of Auditors, a Mayor, and a Baron;
- was a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York’s Asian Affairs Committee;
- was appointed to be a Law Student Division liaison to the American Bar Association; and
- was a volunteer researcher/drafter for the Student Hurricane Network after Hurricane Katrina.
In addition to his degrees from Furman and Seton Hall, William has completed coursework at:
- Tsinghua University (Beijing, China);
- China University of Politics and Law (Beijing, China);
- East China Normal University (Shanghai, China);
- Capitol University of Economics and Business (Beijing, China);
- the Shanghai International Language Institute (Shanghai, China);
- the American University in Cairo (Cairo, Egypt);
- and Kansai Gaidai (Kansai, Japan).
Post-law SchoolAfter graduation, William became a member of the Texas, New York, and Washington, D.C. bars, traveled to Tokyo for a semester while completing a draft training manual for the United Nations' Department of Peacekeeping Operations (addressing the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse by peacekeepers), and finished his Master’s thesis, Justifying an Analysis of the Ecclesiological Development of Subsidiarity via Civil and Common Law Jurisprudential Epistemology.
William also received his certification as a yoga teacher from the Sivananda Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram, in Kerala, India and is TESOL/TESL/TEFL certified.